[DRBD-user] .drbdctrl and resource roles

Daniel Hertanu dart at unixmob.com
Thu Nov 8 20:58:28 CET 2018

Hi,

Can someone help me understand the following situation? I have 3 nodes
using DRBD9 with one node added without storage.

Now, on the two hosts with storage I have this:

[root at server2-drbd ~]# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Secondary
  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
  drbd-mon role:Secondary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate
  server3-drbd role:Primary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate

res1 role:Primary
  disk:UpToDate
  server3-drbd role:Secondary
    peer-disk:UpToDate

[root at server3-drbd ~]# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Primary
  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
  drbd-mon role:Secondary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate
  server2-drbd role:Secondary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate

res1 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  server2-drbd.blinc.co role:Primary
    peer-disk:UpToDate

I would like to understand why, on server2, .drbdctrl role is secondary and
res1 role is primary, while on server3 .drbdctrl role is primary and res1
role is secondary.

I can switch res1 primary role between server2 and server3 without problems
but I can't do anything about .drbdctrl. Trying to change the role to
secondary on server3 doesn't return any error but it's just not happening.

Thanks,

Daniel