[DRBD-user] Unable to init a node

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Tue Mar 13 16:21:14 CET 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 04:07:17PM +0100, Jdt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had a three nodes Proxmox cluster in V4 (jessie) with drbd from Proxmox.
> I choose to reinitialize this cluster with Proxmox V5 (stretch) with
> drbd from Linbit.
>
> I install Proxmox from the ISO image on the three nodes. Proxmox nodes
> are not associated yet in a cluster.
> I install drbdmanage-proxmox as indicated in
> https://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#ch-proxmox
> My network interfaces are well configured for drbd.
> On the first node I create the drbdpool volume group as indicated in
> https://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#s-dm-init-cluster
>
> But it's failed in initialization :
> root at dmz-pve1:~ # drbdmanage init 192.168.2.10
>
> You are going to initialize a new drbdmanage cluster.
> CAUTION! Note that:
>   * Any previous drbdmanage cluster information may be removed
>   * Any remaining resources managed by a previous drbdmanage installation
>     that still exist on this system will no longer be managed by drbdmanage
>
> Confirm:
>
>   yes/no: yes
> Error: External command failed:
> drbdsetup new-resource .drbdctrl 0
> Command output:
>   (stdout)
> Command exited with exit_code 20
>
> Initialization failed

Failing at that early stage usually means that the wrong module is
loaded. cat /proc/drbd

> In /etc/drbdmanaged.cfg, I have

You should not.

> [GLOBAL]
>
> # Options you can set with their default value in the GLOBAL section,
> per Site, or per Node:
> # ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> loglevel = INFO
>
> [Site:DMZ]
>
> loglevel = WARN
>
> # Nodes available in this view:
> # ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> #
> # You can also specify the keyword "site" in node sections
> # Example: [Node:nodeA]
>
> [Node:dmz-pve1]
>
> site = DMZ
>
> storage-plugin = drbdmanage.storage.lvm_thinlv.LvmThinLv
> drbdctrl-vg = drbdpool
>
> [Plugin:ThinLv]
> pool-name = drbdpool

If you don't have "force" set, most of them are ignored. Having options
per node, per config files isn't possible for years. As I don't see
"force", but your "custom options", that indicates to me that you did
not use our version of drbdmanage for proxmox, which sets up
drbdmanaged.cfg correctly, or you just overwrote what was in it with
what you thought is a good idea. Unfortunately, it was not a good
idea...

Regards, rck