[DRBD-user] Some info

Thu Oct 12 00:47:02 CEST 2017

On 12/10/17 07:55, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> For this project I'll use v8
> As I would like to use just one big resource, I don't think v9 would
> be able to rebalance a single resource across 4 or 5 nodes

v9 would allow for a 3 node mirror, which improves redundancy and
resiliency, and I assume makes split-brain avoidance much simpler/more
reliable to stonith the right node.

For me, I mainly still use v8 in production.

Regards,
Adam

> Il 11 ott 2017 10:48 PM, "Yannis Milios" <yannis.milios at gmail.com
> <mailto:yannis.milios at gmail.com>> ha scritto:
>
>     Are you planning to use DRBD8 or DRBD9?
>
>     DRBD8 is limited to 2 nodes(max 3).
>     DRBD9 can scale to multiple nodes.
>
>     For DRBD8 the most common setup is RAID -> DRBD -> LVM  or  RAID
>     -> LVM -> DRBD
>     It’s management is way easier than DRBD9.
>
>     The most common DRBD9 setups are RAID -> LVM (thin or thick) ->
>     DRBD  or  HDD  ->  ZFS (thin or thick)  ->  DRBD.
>     Complicated management...
>
>     On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 at 20:52, Gandalf Corvotempesta
>     <gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
>     <mailto:gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com>> wrote:

>         > You can also do that with raid + lvm + drbd... you just need
>         to create a new
>         > drbd as you add a new LV, and also resize the drbd after you
>         resize the LV.
>
>         I prefere to keep drbd as minimum. I'm much more familiar with
>         LVM.
>         If not an issue, i prefere to keep the number of drbd
>         resources as bare minimum.
>
>         > If both drives fail on one node, then raid will pass the
>         disk errors up to
>         > DRBD, which will mark the local storage as down, and yes, it
>         will read all
>         > needed data from remote node (writes are always sent to the
>         remote node).
>         > You would probably want to migrate the remote node to
>         primary as quickly as
>         > possible, and then work on fixing the storage.
>
>         Why should I migrate the remote node to primary? Any advantage?
>
>         > Yes, it is not some bizarre configuration that has never
>         been seen before.
>         > You also haven't mentioned the size of your proposed raid,
>         nor what size you
>         > are planning on growing it to?
>
>         Currently, I'm planning to start with 2TB disks. I don't think
>         to go
>         over 10-12TB
>
>         > Yes, you will always want multiple network paths between the
>         two nodes, and
>         > also fencing. bonding can be used to improve performance,
>         but you should
>         > *also* have an additional network or serial or other
>         connection between the
>         > two nodes which is used for fencing.
>
>         Ok.
>
>         Any "bare-metal" distribution with DRBD or detailed guide on
>         how to
>         implement HA?
>         Something like FreeNAS, or similiar.
>
>     --
>     Sent from Gmail Mobile

on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message
in error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the
message from your computer. Viruses - Any loss/damage incurred by receiving
this email is not the sender's responsibility.
--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au