[DRBD-user] DRBD and LVM Snapshots

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon May 15 15:48:35 CEST 2017

On 05/14/2017 06:11 PM, Michael Hierweck wrote:
> up to now to use LVM (thick) provisioning to provide virtual disks for
> VMs: RAID => LVM => LV => DRBD => KVM/QEMU (virtio).
>
> We would like to be able to take snapshots from our virtual disks in
> order to be able to use them as readonly source to consistent backups.
> Therefore we would need to introduce a LVM thin provisioning layer
> somewhere.

Do I understand correctly that you are not planning to store the VM
images in a filesystem (on the host), but in (thin-provisioned) block-devices?

If yes, then you might also want to consider to use one of the COW-capable
image formats qemu supports (qcow2, qed) on an ordinary (XFS) filesystem
on the host.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg