[DRBD-user] DRBD Fails to Establish Connection

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Mon Jul 31 11:06:29 CEST 2017

On 07/24/2017 10:08 PM, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 06:53:25PM +0000, Eric Robinson wrote:
>>>   # drbdadm status
>>>   # drbdadm status --verbose
>>>   # drbdsetup status
>>>   # drbdsetup status --statistics
>>>   # drbdsetup status --verbose --statistics
>>>
>> Well, there you go. I guess I keep running into places where commands
>> do not work as they did previously
[...]
> So, with drbd8 you had simple point-to-point connections with two nodes
> and you had a hand full of resources. That can be exposed via /proc
> nicely.
>
> With drbd9 you can have hundreds of resources. They can have complex
> topologies like full meshes,
[...]
> Exposing that via /proc is a bad idea.

By the way, newer drbd-utils versions also come with a utility called
'drbdmon', which displays a live-view of the resources in a very
compressed format by hiding or shortening most unnecessary information
(all the things that are working the way they should) while still
highlighting those resources, volumes and connections that are in a
problematic state, and showing detailed status only for those items.

It was originally written for internal use at LINBIT while testing with
many resources, where even the output of 'drbdadm status' was too
cumbersome to read. Since it turned out to be useful for getting a quick
overview of what's going on with DRBD 9 resources, it was decided to
make it publicly available as a part of the drbd-utils package.

To start it, with a unicode-capable terminal, you simply type
drbdmon

If your terminal is not unicode capable, use
drbdmon --ascii

Once in, several hotkeys allow navigating and switching views, most of
it is pretty much self-explanatory.

Another utility that is being actively developed by LINBIT staff is
'drbdtop', which also enables a user to change the state of
resources/volumes/connections using hotkeys instead of having to type
drbdadm commands.

Therefore I think it is safe to say that you can expect many
improvements of that kind in the future, and once all the new tools go
into production use, I guess noone is going to miss the /proc/drbd file
anymore.

--
Robert Altnoeder
+43 1 817 82 92 0
robert.altnoeder at linbit.com

LINBIT | Keeping The Digital World Running
DRBD - Corosync - Pacemaker
f /  t /  in /  g+