[DRBD-user] drbd8 vs drbd9 performance over 10Gbit link

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Sat Feb 25 10:38:15 CET 2017

Hi Igor!

Am 24.02.2017 um 23:56 schrieb Igor Cicimov:
> Hi Volker,
>

>     resource vm-100-disk-1 {
>     template-file "/var/lib/drbd.d/drbdmanage_global_common.conf";
>
>        net {
>            allow-two-primaries yes;
>

> Dual-primary mode is not supported for 9.0 see
> https://www.drbd.org/en/doc/users-guide-90/s-dual-primary-mode
Thanks for this hint. I missed that completely. But ...

While it is not recommended by linbit it works perfectly. We did live
migration under full throttle (While Debian Desktop installation,
100MB/s writes Peak) with very good performance and no problems at all.
We use the drbd9-packages from the linbit proxmox repository, so this
findings may only hold for this release:

root at proxmox-1:~# cat /proc/drbd
version: 9.0.5-1 (api:2/proto:86-112)
GIT-hash: 8d53d3e73f85f8d98f100a0127ccb574a97c5f64 build by root at elsa,
2016-12-09 11:15:55
Transports (api:14): tcp (1.0.0)

Also we learned that the weak sync performance we have reported only
ocures at the initial DRBD synchronisation. After synchonisation
everything is as fast as expected.

So IMHO the dual-primary should be not the reason for the slow initial sync.

Cheers,

Volker

   inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
   Richard-Strauss-Straße 1       +49(08861) 690 474 0
   86956 Schongau-West            http://www.inqbus.de