[DRBD-user] Strange failure drbdmanage

Frank Rust f.rust at tu-braunschweig.de
Mon Feb 20 15:54:20 CET 2017

Hi,
I’m testing the new drbdmanage system. I started with the first node, added a diskless satellite. Everything worked fine.
The I tried to add another control-node (with disks) which is behind a firewall and for that the connection is tunneled via openvpn. It first seemed to work: the first node told that the new was up-todate,  except that the new node was permanently "connecting" and telling about Leader election by wait for connections and then getting timeout (not finished in 2 sec).
But after a while I got strange behaviour:

on the new node: "drbdmanage nodes" told me that the first node would be offline and made itself to the primary
on the first node: "drbdmanage nodes" told me that the new node would be offline and also (stayed) primary
(sorry can not get back the exact messages)

Then I did "drbdmanage uninit" on the new node because I wanted to redo the configuration.

From this moment on I get following on the first node:

drbdmanage nodes
Waiting for server: ...............
No resources defined

drbdmanage modify-config

Error: Cannot connect to the drbdmanaged process using DBus
The DBus subsystem returned the following error description:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.TypeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 751, in _message_cb
    _method_reply_return(connection, message, method_name, signature, *retval)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 254, in _method_reply_return
    reply.append(signature=signature, *retval)
TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable

On the diskless satellite I get all the time:
nodes
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Name  | Pool Size | Pool Free |                                               |                      State |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| new   |   8388600 |   8388596 |                                               |                         ok |
| first |   7630888 |   7598080 |                                               |                         ok |
| sat   |         0 |         0 |                                               | satellite node, no storage |

On the satellite I tried to get the add-node command by typing

drbdmanage howto-join new
IMPORTANT: Execute the following command only on node new!
Error: Text query command failed on the drbdmanage server
Error: Debug exception / internal error

So now I’m stuck and can not get it back working.

Any suggestions?

Frank