[DRBD-user] DRBD over ZFS - or the other way around?

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Aug 17 16:48:53 CEST 2017

Hi list,
I am discussing how to have a replicated ZFS setup on the ZoL mailing
list, and DRBD is obviously on the radar ;)

It seems that three possibilities exist:

a) DRBD over ZVOLs (with one DRBD resource per ZVOL);
b) ZFS over DRBD over the RAW disks (with DRBD resource per disk);
c) ZFS over DRBD over a single huge and sparse ZVOL (see for an example:
http://v-optimal.nl/index.php/2016/02/04/ha-zfs/)

What option do you feel is the better one? On the ZoL list seems to
exists a preference for option b - create a DRBD resource for each disk
and let ZFS manage the DRBD devices.

Any thought on that?
Thanks.

--