[DRBD-user] BAD! .... messages

Jan Bakuwel jan.bakuwel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 23:35:00 CET 2016

Hi Lars,

On 22/11/16 06:14, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

>>> Ok. I'm running kernel module 8.4.3 with 8.9 userland tools:
>>>
>>> root at ns8p2:~# modinfo drbd
>>> filename:
>>> /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/block/drbd/drbd.ko
>>> alias:          block-major-147-*
>>> license:        GPL
>>> version:        8.4.3
>>>
>>> ... is this still something I can safely ignore (and not fixed)?
>> We are back at what Lars said: "You want to check (and upgrade) your
>> kernel module.". Don't miss the upgrade part just because it is in
>> parentheses. Out-of-tree 8.4.3 was February *2013*.
> Uhm, so the ML post quoted above said "8.3 git" finally fixed "it".
>
> Which is correct. Only that "it" was something different than what
> you have with 8.4.3 ...
>
> Even though it leads to similar messages in the kernel log.
>
> BTW, for people finding this in the archives:
> we have *different* log lines that prominently contain "BAD",
> so just because you see "BAD" does not yet mean you are seeing
> the same issue. This one is about
> "BAD! sector=12345s enr=6 rs_left=-7 rs_failed=0 count=89 cstate=..."
>
> We've had various issues over the years that would trigger those
> log messages, some could safely be ignored, some could lead to
> resync not terminating, or other effects.
>
> I'd recommend to not ignore those, but upgrade to latest 8.4.
> Yes, these issues are (supposed to be) fixed,
> the one I suspect you are hitting was fixed with
>  1c378ef drbd: fix resync finished detection
> Which was somewhere between 8.4.4 and 8.4.5 in 2014, and yes, it was a
> different issue from the one referred to in the ML post you found.

I replied to Roland's post before reading yours...

Thanks for answering the question I asked in my reply to Roland which is
to which version I should upgrade: latest 8.4 = 8.4.9.1

If these log messages can't be ignored, I suppose BAD! = bad.

Should I file a bug against the Debian kernel for including a drbd
module with known potentially BAD! (pun intended ;-) ) bugs or is that
something you'd normally do?

kind regards,
Jan