[DRBD-user] nfs for VMs hosting

Thu Jul 7 01:41:39 CEST 2016

If you need maximum availability and data protection, why would you even
ask about RAID6 ? You have 12 disks, the chance of losing *any* 3 disks
in RAID6 is much higher than the chance of losing a pair of disks in
RAID10 (IMHO). Also, if performance is a concern, then I'd also focus on
RAID10.

For maximum availability, I'd suggest to keep your stack as simple as
possible, so don't include lvm if you don't need it, just use MD or
hardware RAID. Your problem is that you probably want high performance,
high availability, and data protection, and finally probably cost is a
factor too. Getting all of that together will be a massive headache.

You need to work out what your work-load is first (ie, large streaming
read/write or small random read/write, for multiple VM's, most likely
small random read/write). Then you need to run all your tests with that
type of work load while you tune/test multiple configurations (eg,
RAID10, RAID6, NFS server, iSCSI instead, etc...) as well as all the
DRBD tuning, network tuning, etc...

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adam