[DRBD-user] DRBD Truck Based Replication Inconsistently Working

Justin Patriquin jpatriquin at pantelintl.com
Mon Aug 15 18:00:23 CEST 2016

Hello,

I'm currently trying to get a system up and running using DRBD. A lot of
data has already accumulated on the system so I needed to use a truck
based replication solution. I migrated all of the data on to a DRBD
partition on NODE 1 and then used the following commands to copy the
data onto a portable hard drive that would be used to ship the data to
NODE 2:

drbdadm disconnect ha

drbdadm new-current-uuid --clear-bitmap ha

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync (/dev/sda1 = the
device of drbd partition, /dev/sdb1 = the portable hard drive partition
device)

drbdadm new-current-uuid ha

drbdadm connect ha

On NODE2 the following commands would then be run once the portable hard
drive arrives there:

dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sda1 bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync (/dev/sda1 = the
device of drbd partition, /dev/sdb1 = the portable hard drive partition
device)

drbdadm connect ha

The issue occurs here where it begins syncing all of the data from NODE
1 to NODE 2. It should only be syncing the data since the first
new-current-uuid. This happens inconsistently. Sometimes it will work as
expected and sometimes it won't. Doing some diagnostics I was able to
determine that the UUIDs that were copied onto the portable hard drive
were UUIDs from before the first new-current-uuid. It appears the UUIDs
didn't get properly flushed to disk before the dd command was run. I
think I was able to get it to work consistently on my test system by
bringing the resource down and back up again after the first
new-current-uuid command and before the dd. I need to implement this on
a production system and want more confidence that this will work so
figuring out the root cause would be ideal. Any advice or help would be
much appreciated.

The hard drives on both NODE 1 and NODE 2 are currently running under
RAID-6.

DRBD Version: 8.4.7-1

Thanks.

--
Justin Patriquin | Software Developer
Pantel International |

The information contained in this e-mail message, together with any attachments thereto, are intended only for the personal and confidential use of the addressee(s) named above. The message and the attachments are or may be a privileged or protected communication. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or authorized to receive it for the intended recipient, you have received this message in error. If you received this message in error, you are not to review, use, disseminate, distribute or copy it or any attachments and are requested to immediately notify us by return e-mail message, and delete the original message.