[DRBD-user] By-label directory link for drbd-partition dissapearing when drbd service is started on RHEL6.2/drbd 8.4.0

Paul E Cain pecain at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 10 21:40:57 CET 2014

Hello,

So my problem is that I want to use /dev/disk/by-label/ to have persistent
links in the .res file. For example, my res file would have
"disk /dev/disk/by-label/p1" instead of "disk /dev/vda4". This worked fine
before with RHEL5 and drbd 8.2.6. However, with RHEL 6.2 and drbd 8.4.0
I've noticed that when service drbd start runs it sometimes removes the
links from the by-label directory and they don't necessarily come back when
drbd gets stop. See my demonstration below. Does anyone have experience
with this problem that could offer some advice on why this happens?

I'm using internal metadata and the drbd partition is /dev/vda4.

[root at aaam1 ~]# ls -hl /dev/disk/by-label
ls: cannot access /dev/disk/by-label: No such file or directory
[root at aaam1 ~]# e2label /dev/vda4 p1
[root at aaam1 ~]# ls -hl /dev/disk/by-label
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar  6 17:34 p1 -> ../../vda4
[root at aaam1 ~]# service drbd status
drbd not loaded
[root at aaam1 ~]# service drbd start
Starting DRBD resources: [
     create res: r0
   prepare disk: r0
    adjust disk: r0
     adjust net: r0
]
outdated-wfc-timeout has to be shorter than degr-wfc-timeout
outdated-wfc-timeout implicitly set to degr-wfc-timeout (30s)
.
[root at aaam1 ~]# ls -hl /dev/disk/by-label
ls: cannot access /dev/disk/by-label: No such file or directory
[root at aaam1 ~]# service drbd stop
Stopping all DRBD resources: .
[root at aaam1 ~]# ls -hl /dev/disk/by-label
ls: cannot access /dev/disk/by-label: No such file or directory
[root at aaam1 ~]#

Thank you for your time and any help you can offer.

Paul Cain