[DRBD-user] Can DRBD work in LXC Container?

Jeremiah Snapp jeremiah.snapp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 16:08:35 CET 2014

Can DRBD work in LXC Container?

I already asked this in LXC-Users but they weren't sure.

I saw the following message which gave me the vague impression DRBD could
be done in a container.

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-dev/2011-March/001426.html

I have the DRBD module loaded in the host.

But when I try to attach the resource it says it can't connnect to 'drbd'
generic netlink family.
Can someone please explain to me what it the 'drbd' generic netlink family
even is?
And how to get access to it from inside an LXC container?

As you can see in my LXCX container's config I have app armor unconfined
and no lxc.devices entries so I'm hoping that I've removed as many
restrictions that might block access.

The following was run from inside the container.

root at saucy:~# service drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.4.3 (api:1/proto:86-101)
srcversion: 5CF35A4122BF8D21CC12AE2
m:res  cs  ro  ds  p  mounted  fstype

root at saucy:~# drbdadm attach pc0
Could not connect to 'drbd' generic netlink family
Command 'drbdsetup attach 0 /dev/loop1 /dev/loop1 internal
--resync-rate=40M' terminated with exit code 20

Here's the container's LXC config.

lxc.aa_profile = unconfined
lxc.mount = /var/lib/lxc/saucy/fstab
lxc.mount.entry = proc proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = sysfs sys sysfs defaults 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = /sys/fs/fuse/connections sys/fs/fuse/connections none
bind,optional 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = /sys/kernel/debug sys/kernel/debug none bind,optional 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = /sys/kernel/security sys/kernel/security none
bind,optional 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = /sys/fs/pstore sys/fs/pstore none bind,optional 0 0
lxc.tty = 4
lxc.pts = 1024
lxc.devttydir = lxc
lxc.arch = x86_64