[DRBD-user] Diskless / unclean metadata

olc olecam at glou.fr
Thu Feb 27 11:05:30 CET 2014

Hi -

On 24/02/2014 17:52, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>> My primary node crashed today. I have had to reboot it but now it
>> reports unclean metadata. :(
>
> How about a simple "drbdadm adjust all"?
>
> If you insist on doing the steps manually,
> do a "drbdadm -d adjust all".
>
> To "up" a drbd resource with 8.4
> there are more steps involved than there were with 8.3...
> Which steps? See above.

Thanks Lars. I could not make "drbdadm adjust all" to work (no usable
activity log). As I'm just concerned with getting back the data, I have
tested to modify the uuid's thanks to dump-md/create-md/restore-md,
following the guide at http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-gi.html

Initial situation:
uuid {
     0x3AD1EEC6E5D55491; 0x8F95E078DD5699B8; 0x67ACDDB56C762980;
0x67ABDDB56C762981;
     flags 0x00000013;
}

Modified to:
uuid {
     0x8F95E078DD5699B8; 0x0000000000000000; 0x67ACDDB56C762980;
0x67ABDDB56C762981;
     flags 0x00000013;
}

The drbd resource was then happy to start as primary. Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to mount the ext4 partition: "wrong fs type, bad
option, bad superblock on /dev/drbd0". I have tried many things (working
on dd'ed device) but nothing doing: seems to be mission impossible. I
have just been able to recover lots of file with photorec but this does
not help so much (there is 50 billions files on the FS, no way to
retrieve which is which without knowing the path/filename). Anyway, we
are out of the drbd topic here: this is related to ext4.

BTW, in such situation when you don't care on the drbd's metadata, I
think that you can just get rid of the drbd stack and mount the device
directly as is. Knowing that could have saved lots of time here.

Regards,
--
Olivier