[DRBD-user] How to improve speed between 2 DRDB volume within VM on different hosts?

Xiao Bin XB Zhang xbinzh at cn.ibm.com
Tue Feb 11 06:09:55 CET 2014

Hey,

I have a user case that we have 2 physical hosts, each host will have 2
VMs.

say VM1 and VM2 are in Host A, while VM3 and VM4 are in host B

VM1 and VM3 are pair acting as Active-Standby;
VM2 and VM4 are pair acting as Active-Standby

Now VM2 and VM4 both have 150G DRDB volume to by sync.

Based on testing, we found that:
if purely using RCP to copy big file, say 5G, from VM2 to VM4, the speed is
roughly 30G ~ 50G

However DRDB sync speed is 10~20G

2 Hosts are connected via 1G network.

My questions are:
1. why have such big gap between rsync and DRDB sync?
2. How to improve the sync speed between 2 DRDB volumes?

Many thanks!