[DRBD-user] drbd-utils-8.9.1-3: after rpm upgrade manpages missing

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Mon Aug 11 22:02:30 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 02:26:42PM +0300, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
> 11.08.2014 14:00, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > With debian, we have a "debconf" question.
> >
> > Any better ideas?
>
> On RHEL and Fedora - update-alternatives(8).
>
> MTA packagess (sendmail, exim, postfix) seem to be most known users of that.

I guess for Red Hat you are right on that. In Debian-land we have:
- debconf/dpkg-reconfigure: Used to (re)configure packages themselves.
  IMO the "right" approach in this case.
- update-alternatives: If multiple programs/packages provide the same
  functionality. What is the default editor, MTA, compiler,...

Red Hat provides an alternatives system but AFAIK nothing that is
equivalent to the debconf/reconfigure system. Using alternatives seems
the right fallback.

Red Hat should provide an alternative to their alternatives system,
namely rpm-reconfigure ;-)

Regards, rck