[DRBD-user] Reload vs. restart to deploy new config?

lists at riscworks.net lists at riscworks.net
Mon Sep 2 08:18:56 CEST 2013

Hi list,

I'm about to replace a node (running as secondary) already being orbited
by its own debris by a new machine.

Having edited the config on the primary node (replaced the lines of the
old node by the appropriate settings for the new one, i.e., IP address)
I see that a 'service drbd reload' does not deploy the new config -- the
(new) secondary still is not able to connect to the box running as
primary. Networking is perfectly alright between the machines, I assume
the primary just not being aware of the (new) secondary right now.

As it's an in-production setup, I'm a bit hesitating to issue a 'service
drbd restart' on the primary, additionally because it's highly
speculative for me if it'd fix the problem. So, is there the need to
*restart* DRBD to pick up the new config?

I'm running latest CentOS 6.4 x86_64 with DRBD 8.3 from elrepo:

kmod-drbd83-8.3.15-1.el6_3.elrepo.x86_64
drbd83-utils-8.3.15-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64

Thanks,

Timo