[DRBD-user] Ahead / Behind Log Messages

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Nov 12 12:43:16 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:34:26AM -0600, J.R. Lillard wrote:
> I'm using Ahead / Behind mode on all my stacked resources.  I just noticed
> this morning that when a resource falls behind it spews tens of thousands
> of messages into my syslog.  Can this be turned off?  Over the last 6 hours
>
> I've received about 60,000 messages like this one.
> kernel: [1012720.805407] block drbd50: w_start_resync later...
>
> And 10,000 of these.
> kernel: [1003951.022263] block drbd10: Congestion-fill threshold reached
>
> 2,500 of these.
> kernel: [1011032.612898] block drbd50: Congestion-extents threshold reached

The ahead/behind mode is meant to be used with drbd-proxy,
which has a much higher "buffer size".
So you typically get a nice hysteresis
 reach threshold,
 take some minutes to drain,
 possibly repeat on next "congestion" event (write burst).

If you try with too low thresholds,
it may flip-flop between those states very quickly.

No, we don't intend to suppress state change log messages.

--
: Lars Ellenberg