[DRBD-user] external metadata on ssd vs bcache

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Tue Feb 26 23:30:31 CET 2013

Smallish SSD's are dirt cheap these days and I have a spare slot in my servers so I was thinking of putting one in and running bcache (layering would look like drbd->raid0->bcache->sd[ab]). It's a bit of mucking around to set up as bcache isn't in the kernel at this time and is targeted against a kernel version that isn't what Debian uses, so it seems that maybe for now just putting the metadata on the SSD would be a much simpler option.

I'm currently using internal metadata, does anyone have any comments on which would be the best way to go?

Also, is there a procedure for moving metadata from internal to external?

Thanks

James