[DRBD-user] Dumb question regarding ""disk-barrier=no"

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Apr 25 22:50:35 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 09:49:59PM +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 01:59:52PM +0000, Prater, James K. wrote:
> > We are using RHEL 6.4 this parameter set in the global common
> > configuration file and also on the haresources mount attributes.   The
> > question is that I cannot change this parameter on the fly with the
> > "mount -o remount,barrier=1".   With "tune2fs -l /dev/drbd0",
> > nobarrier is still enabled.

BTW.
If you try to *enable* barrier on the mount:
you need a FLUSH/FUA enabled kernel,
and drbd 8.3.15 or drbd 8.4.3 for that.
(ok, strictly > 8.3.14, or > 8.4.2)

Earlier versions did not announce the FLUSH capability to upper layers.

Regarding "tune2fs -l",
I'm not exactly sure where your problem is.
If it is just that "tune2fs -l" still reports
	Default mount options:    ... nobarrier,
that just reports what is stored in the superblock.
mount, or remount, will not change the flags stored in the superblock,
but only the options used for the current mount.
(as reflected in /proc/mounts)

If you want to clear the flag in the superblock again,
tune2fs -o ^nobarrier should do the trick.