[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.4.2 Doesn't Compile Against 3.7 Kernel

Shaun Thomas sthomas at optionshouse.com
Fri Nov 30 18:15:13 CET 2012

Hey guys,

We were asked to do some Ubuntu testing against an upstream 3.7 kernel,
and it turns out the 8.4.2 included with a vanilla 3.7 kernel does not
come anywhere near the code for 8.4.2 available for download. APIs have
changed everywhere. I'm not sure what the most recent kernel the linbit
stuff will compile against, but 3.7 definitely kills it.

With all of the applied patches different between the 8.4.2 being
distributed, and 8.4.2 in the kernel, I'm not sure how they are supposed
to be the same thing version. There could be different bugs between them
simply because they use different kernel API calls.

Just a warning to anyone wanting to use 8.4.2 as a plug-in where it's
not already included.

Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if Ubuntu didn't insist on forcing
8.3.11 into every release they produce.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534