[DRBD-user] drbd-8.3.13.tar.gz

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue May 15 17:58:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:58:57PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello Lars,
>
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:05:50 +0200 Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 03:24:12PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Phillip,
> > >
> > > thanks for a version that compiles out of the box on 3.x kernels. ^o^
> > >
> > > However there is one outstanding and rather critical issue not
> > > addressed bit it, I'm talking about the lack of a:
> > > ---
> > > ---
> > > line in the rc.d script.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm lazy, thus asking for pointers:
> http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot
>
> > And that is supposed to have what effect?
> http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts
> Making it actually work and not just sit there and ignore input. ^o^

It does not ignore input.

It used to expect its tty to be in "sane" mode,
and a read on it returning a full line.
fancy boot splash thingies tend to put the tty in raw mode,
which we now handle as well (input comes in one byte a time).

Sometimes said fancy boot thingies even leave the tty connected
to tty1 (say) and present you tty7 (or so).
in which case you'd need to first (CTRL?-) ALT-F1 so the input
gets where it belongs ;-)

Which is why we now do
 exec > /dev/null 2>&1; plymouth quit ; usplash_write QUIT ;
 stty echo icanon icrnl
before we wait for user input in that case...

Still, if that magic init script header is supposed to take care of it,
I'm very much pleased to have learned that lesson ;)

> For example another init script in Debian testing marked interactive
> is apache2, for those really paranoid people who have passwords on
> their SSL keys. ^.^
>
> > And that is supposed to work with which distributions?
> > And that is documented where?
> >
> See first URL, it being LSB pretty much every distro.

Glad I put "supposed to" in that question ;-)

> > > This was recently fixed in Debian and has bitten yours truly quite
> > > painfully in the ass twice, before I realized what was going on.
> > >
> > > Since "wfc-timeout" defaults to 0 and pretty much all example
> > > configurations suggest that that as well the init script really needs
> > > to interactive.
> > >
> > > I experienced a double (both nodes) crash in the past, one node never
> > > recovered and the other was stuck in the boot process waiting for it
> > > with no way to resume booting due to the inability to actually enter
> > > "yes" at the prompt...
> >
> > The "yes" should work now, btw,
> > and you can always ssh in and kill the drbdsetup wait-conn processes.
> >
> I don't think it works on systems with dependency based boot w/o that
> X-Interactive line. And I think it hangs in the boot process before sshd is
> started (though I really haven't tested and thought of that), certainly
> before another console screen and logins are available.

We have # Should-Start:   sshd
so if this is supposed to check on X-Interactive, it should well be able
to act on Should-Start

Ok, so your sshd is not "sshd".
Tough luck :-/

> > > Would be nice if this could be fixed for any future releases and
> > > heads-up to anybody reading this.
> >
> > If we knew about that particular magic,
> > we might even have added that line already.
> >
> > But sorry, I don't really read (or follow)
> > init script magic comment RFCs too often ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for bringing this up.
> >
> No problem, I thought it might have caught your eyes when first doing that
> LSB header or when it was reported and fixed in Debian.
>
> > If you had brought it up during RC,
> > you probably had it in now.
> >
> See above, I was fully expecting it to be there and had no time for RC
> testing. Oh well, hopefully people will read this until the next release.

http://git.drbd.org/gitweb.cgi?p=drbd-8.3.git;a=commitdiff;h=2c5b35d

Thanks again,
Hope it helps

	:-)