[DRBD-user] Partitioning a drbd device

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Tue May 15 09:19:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 05/14/2012 11:41 PM, Chris Dickson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to partition a drbd device that is backed by an LVM
> partition. So I guess you could call it a partition within a partition.
> The partitions seem to be getting created fine (I used cfdisk on
> /dev/drbd1), but I can't seem to figure out how to actually get the
> partitions to show up in /dev and be mountable. cfdisk sees them as
> drbd1p1 and drbd1p2, but when I run a partprobe I get:
>
> Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
> /dev/drbd1p1 -- Invalid argument.  This means Linux won't know about any
> changes you made to /dev/drbd1p1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't
> mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
> Error: Failed to add partition 1 (Invalid argument)

you could try kpartx, but I wouldn't put my money on this working out fine.

> Unfortunately I'm not in a position to reboot the machine right now, and
> even if that was a solution I would need this to happen on the fly while
> the machine is running. Any thoughts?

Nested LVM seems to be the more commonplace approach. Is it applicable
to your use case? What is your ultimate goal, anyway? It smells of
virtualization ;-) That too, is probably handled more gracefully using
nested LVM.

Cheers,
Felix