[DRBD-user] Partitioning a drbd device

Chris Dickson chrisd1100 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 23:41:31 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to partition a drbd device that is backed by an LVM partition.
So I guess you could call it a partition within a partition. The partitions
seem to be getting created fine (I used cfdisk on /dev/drbd1), but I can't
seem to figure out how to actually get the partitions to show up in /dev
and be mountable. cfdisk sees them as drbd1p1 and drbd1p2, but when I run a
partprobe I get:

Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
/dev/drbd1p1 -- Invalid argument.  This means Linux won't know about any
changes you made to /dev/drbd1p1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount
it or use it in any way before rebooting.
Error: Failed to add partition 1 (Invalid argument)

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to reboot the machine right now, and
even if that was a solution I would need this to happen on the fly while
the machine is running. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris