[DRBD-user] General question about DRBD and HA

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed May 2 10:44:53 CEST 2012

On 04/24/2012 01:39 PM, Pascal BERTON wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> If the master fails, then the slave is promoted master and takes the
> service over. At this time, it's the only node alive. When the former
> master returns to life, its data will be outdated compared to the
> current master. When it joins again the cluster, DRBD will detect that
> inconsistency and sync its data (former master datas) against the
> official master one (current master). DRBD embeds a bitmap scheme to
> identify the outdated datas, it knows precisely what is up to date and
> what is not. There are a couple of pages discussing that by the end of
> the DRBD Users Guide.

Also, DRBD is very flexible as long as a stable connection exists
between the nodes. As soon as the cluster is reconnected, the (possibly
still partially outdated) original master can become primary again and
start hosting services.
Of course, this is not the safest thing to do (in case of another
breakage during the sync).

A minor gripe with pacemaker at the moment (afaik) is that it does in
fact *not* have much knowledge of DRBD consistency states. I'm not sure
if it can make good decisions that take this sort of resync into account.

HTH,
Felix

--
MPeX.net GmbH / Werner-Voß-Damm 62 / D-12101 Berlin / Germany
MPeXnetworks / www.mpexnetworks.de

Sitz, Registergericht: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 76688
Geschäftsführer: Lars Bräuer, Gregor Rex-Lawatscheck