[DRBD-user] Hardware-recomendation needed

Lukas Gradl proxmox at ssn.at
Thu Mar 29 16:22:15 CEST 2012

Hi!

I'm thinking about a DRBD Installation for one of our sites.

The hardware are two identical Sandybridge-Xeon boxes with a dedicated,
direct connection between for DRBD. We're booting of a SSD.
Harddisks are connected by onboard-SATA 6G.

OS is Debian Squeeze using DRBD 3.8.10.

Unfortunatly there's just one 3.5" drive bay available for storage so
raid is not really an option (perhaps using 2 2.5" HDDs mounted with a
2x2.5 to 1x3.5 mounting bracket, but I'm afraid of this setup getting
too hot despite active cooling in the rack.)

So as far as i can see, there are four options available:

1.) a single SATA-Disk, internal metadata: Played around with that while
getting familar with DRBD, lousy performance near to unusable.

2.) a single SATA-Disk, external metadata on a partition of the
Boot-SSD. Any experiences on performance using a setup like this?

3.) a single SATA SSD, internal metadata: I've read about DRBD not
supporting TRIM, so I'm afraid the SSD will not work at full performance
and perhaps die too fast.

4.) a single SATA-Disk, connected to a 3Ware 9650SE Raidcontroller,
using a BBU. Never tried a controller like this with just one disk. How
much RAM do I need on that controller? Is 128MB sufficient (and I know
that the more the better, but how much do we really need?)?

4a.) two 2.5" SATA Disks, mounted in one 3.5" bay using a 9650SE as
well. As said before I'm afraid of getting the HDDs too hot.

Personally I would prefer variant 2 or 3, but I'm not shure about
performance using these setups.

So, what do you think about that options?

regards,
Lukas

--

software security networks