[DRBD-user] drbd 8.3 - 6 nodes

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Tue Mar 6 11:34:34 CET 2012

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:23:13 +0100, Felix Frank <ff at mpexnet.de> wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 11:18 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>> yes, the mailbox storages are LUN's on a SAN. it manages to do
>> clustering with rgmanager + cman, so A3 would take where A1 or A2 left
>> off by mounting A1's or A2's mailbox storage on itself since it is
>> already running a standby mailbox service (zimbra-cluster standby
>> server). i believe this is called 2+1 clustering.
>>
>> but now i have to setup another cluster for disaster recovery as i
>> described before using drbd.
>>
>> is there anyway, with this setup that i could achieve what i had
>> intended?

Yes. You may use floating IP for DRBD and have one instance (IP) in site A
and another in site B for each service.
Do not use the service IP as floating IP as you will have problems moving
the service from A to B.

If A1 is active, you have the DRBD_A1 IP on that node, wich will move to
A3 in case of failure before the service ... now you have DRBD_A1 and the
service running on A3 over DRBD_A1, while DRBD_B1 will run undependable on
B1 or B3.
Now your A site goes down - you promote DRBD_B1 to primary and start A1
service on B1 over DRBD_B1.

>> FYI, all hardware had been bought and storage had been calculated
>> beforehand which i had no saying or part of. so this is a bit of a
>> problem for me.
>
> Ah, I see now.
>
> Technically, you'd want establish DRBD synchronisation between the SAN
> at your A site and the SAN at the B site. Manual failover would include
> making SAN B Primary.
>
> Now, if said SANs are proprietary all-in-one products, your
> possibilities for adding DRBD to it may be severely limited.
> Your SAN vendor may or may not offer a cross-site synchronisation of
> their own.

If SAN vendor offers that, there is no need to use DRBD at all.