[DRBD-user] New fence handler for RHCS; rhcs_fence

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sun Jan 15 06:48:05 CET 2012

Hi all,

  I spoke to Lon, the author of obliterate-peer.sh, about
updating/rewriting his script to add a few features. From that, I
decided to use perl as it's the language I am most comfortable with, so
I did a full rewrite.

  I changed the name to 'rhcs_fence', and the source is available here:

https://github.com/digimer/rhcs_fence

  The main differences are:

- No longer restricted to 2-node clusters. So long as DRBD_PEERS is set
to a name found in 'cman_tool', the proper node will be fenced.

- More sanity checks are made to help minimize the risk of dual-fencing.
First, dynamic or configurable delays help ensure both nodes won't try
to simultaneously fence one another. Also, when a fenced node recovers
but still can't reach it's peer, it will not try to fence the surviving
peer which helps avoid fence loops.

- Improved fence call; Rather than a simple sequence of calls to
fence_node, this script now waits for the output and verifies that the
fence call succeeded. This avoids spurious error messages from being
printed to syslog.

  Being on github, I welcome and
feedback/improvements/suggestions/critique. Just ask and I'll be happy
to give commit access. Testing will be greatly appreciated!

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron