[DRBD-user] can't mount on secondary node

Lawrence Strydom qholloi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:38:09 CET 2012

Thanks for the informative read Florian.

Martin,  I agree with you that a hardware based shared storage solution is
ideal but our budget doesn't allow for it so I have to make this work with
DRBD.

This might sound naive but is fencing even required in my scenario?
Two apache Web servers with IP fail over handled by the hosting provider.
Dual Primary DRBD device with OCFS2 shared storage. There is no load
balancing so only one node will be actively writing and reading at any
given time. Apache and DRBD will be active at all times on both servers and
if the primary node fails, IP will manually be re-assigned to the secondary
which will have all data available via DRBD/OCFS2. In my mind there is no
requirement for fencing or even pacemaker based DRBD and Apache management.
Is this a valid scenario? Or am I setting myself up for a fall?

Thanks

Lawrence