[DRBD-user] can't mount on secondary node

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Feb 1 11:55:36 CET 2012

Hi again,

On 02/01/2012 10:49 AM, Lawrence Strydom wrote:
> woow ohkay. Thanks Felix.
>
> So that means I will have to use pacemaker or something similar to
> automate the promotion if the primary fails?

this is definitely recommended. You can always forego automatic
failover. DRBD still gives you the ability to do a largely painless
manual switch to node #2 (e.g. disaster recovery).

> It almost seems easier to
> set up dual primary.

This doesn't really compute. On node failure, you will need to fail
*something* over to the other node (even if that's only an IP address).

What would you gain from dual-primary here? Mounting an ext2/3/4
partition on a second node will not work. OCFS2 or GFS would be options,
but that still won't start your services on the second node on failure
of the first.

Finally, you need something to take care of fencing in your cluster when
you go for dual-primary. So you will probably want pacemaker in any
case, so you don't really save much effort.

HTH,
Felix

PS. What problem are you trying to solve / what's your scenario? People
will give you good advice on what type of setup would be most suitable
for your needs if you share this info.