[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.4.2 Doesn't Compile Against 3.7 Kernel

Shaun Thomas sthomas at optionshouse.com
Tue Dec 4 15:28:32 CET 2012

On 12/04/2012 02:47 AM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> The next merge window (so, 3.8) should see the equivalent of 8.4.2,
> plus patches (whatever comes up during the merge window).

Well, what do you know:

#define REL_VERSION "8.3.13"

That would explain a couple things, anyway.

> Maybe you should get your DRBD (and Support) from LINBIT instead.

Well, DRBD does seem to be a "product of LINBIT". And I was definitely
wrong about 8.4.2 being in mainline. Not sure why I thought it was. But
if LINBIT is the only source of DRBD, and 8.4.x won't compile against,
and isn't included in the latest kernels, where else would one magically
obtain it? Theirs is clearly broken in that regard, and so far as I
know, they're the only source of it.

My question can be slightly modified to apply to 8.3.13, though. If the
code has been modified to compile against API changes in 3.7, it's not
the same version.

Should I be worried about DRBD in general? Or at least 8.4.2? It seems
like the community is ignoring it even though the DRBD site and all
documentation seem to point to it as the preferred version.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534
sthomas at optionshouse.com