[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.4.2 Doesn't Compile Against 3.7 Kernel

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Dec 4 09:47:13 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:15:13AM -0600, Shaun Thomas wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> We were asked to do some Ubuntu testing against an upstream 3.7
> kernel, and it turns out the 8.4.2 included with a vanilla 3.7

There is no 8.4 in "vanilla" yet.
3.7 should be more like 8.3.13

The next merge window (so, 3.8) should see the equivalent of 8.4.2,
plus patches (whatever comes up during the merge window).

> kernel does not come anywhere near the code for 8.4.2 available for
> download. APIs have changed everywhere. I'm not sure what the most
> recent kernel the linbit stuff will compile against, but 3.7
> definitely kills it.

That's the fate of out of tree modules:
they may break when the in-tree code changes.

Until those changes have been dealt with.

Which, btw, we did about two or three weeks ago, by pure chance.
Usually we do not do compat patches for the out-of-tree DRBD until the
upstream release tag is cut.

> With all of the applied patches different between the 8.4.2 being
> distributed, and 8.4.2 in the kernel, I'm not sure how they are
> supposed to be the same thing version. There could be different bugs
> between them simply because they use different kernel API calls.

Are you comparing external 8.4.2 and in-kernel 8.3.13 ?

> Just a warning to anyone wanting to use 8.4.2 as a plug-in where
> it's not already included.
>
> Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if Ubuntu didn't insist on
> forcing 8.3.11 into every release they produce.

Maybe you should get your DRBD (and Support) from LINBIT instead.

	Lars