[DRBD-user] Can't promote to primary

Yount, William D Yount.William at menloworldwide.com
Thu Aug 2 10:52:50 CEST 2012

I have a two node DRBD cluster. It is setup in Primary/Primary. Everything works good. I turned Node2 off and for some reason the IP address didn't automatically failover, but that is an issue for another group.

I decided to restart Node1 and the IP address did come back up on Node1. The issue now is that the although it was primary when I restarted, it came back up in Secondary. Not a big deal, I just need to promote to primary. However I keep getting this error when I run 'drbdadm primary nfs':

0: State change failed: (-2) Need access to UpToDate data
Command 'drbdsetup 0 primary' terminated with exit code 17

I tried looking that up but didn't come up with anything. I am not sure why it would need up to date information if I am trying to set it to primary. Shouldn't it just assume that the information is up to date? I have attached my configuration.

Can anyone see any changes I need to make to my configuration that would help resolve this?

William