[DRBD-user] drbd storage for Oracle VM

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Tue Apr 3 13:36:09 CEST 2012

>> Eduardo, thank you for your input, but Virtual Box (workstation
>> product) is a completely different animal than Oracle VM (bare-metal
>> hypervisor). I don't get to choose the underlying storage, and OVM3 choses OCFS2.
>>

>> I guess I'll simply have to try it out and see if DRBD will compile/run/etc.
>
> It will. However OCFS2 will only work on Protocol C (dual-Primary mode requires
> synchronous replication by definition), so your original plan of using protocol
> A or B is out.
>
> Why do you need to compile though? I thought UEK2 shipped with DRBD.
> Or has that not been made available for Oracle VM yet?
>
> Florian

That sounds encouraging. Not having to compile will mean I don't have to locate all the dependencies.

"UEK2 shipped with DRBD." How would I check?

I have no need for dual-primary and I can't see how OCFS2 can even tell if the underlying block device is dual-primary or single-primary. I believe Eduardo was using dual-primary. I simply need to do a warm-failover (manual) in the event of a disaster.