[DRBD-user] Upgrading from 8.3.10 to 8.4.0, requires full sync?

Mark Deneen mdeneen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:20:49 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Lars Ellenberg
<lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> No, upgrading from 8.3.10 to 8.4.0 does NOT require full sync.
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:40:03AM -0400, Mark Deneen wrote:
>> I upgraded a simple 2 node (primary / secondary) system from 8.3.10 to
>> 8.4.0, and the secondary node showed up as Diskless.  To do the
>> upgrade, I gracefully stopped both nodes, removed drbd, installed the
>> new drbd, brought up the primary and then the secondary.  Very little,
>> if anything, should have been out of sync.
>>
>> This is the log from the secondary node when drbd started:
>> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Zx2t1LC4
>>
>> /proc/drbd shows that the disk is not attached, so I used drbdadm to
>> attach.  When doing so, it tells me this: "No usable activity log
>> found. Do you need to create-md?"
>> Following the suggestion, since I don't really mind a full resync to
>> test, I attempt to do create-md:
>
> Yes, if you re-create the meta data, you will have to do a full resync.
> You should not need to, however.
>
> You need to double check which kernel module version is running,
> and which userland you have installed.
>
>> So why is the AL unusable?  After overwriting the meta data block, the
>> device attaches and does a full re-sync.  Oddly enough, out of 7
>> resources, 6 were diskless -- one was connected.
>
> You may at some stage have had the 8.4 userland,
> but 8.3 kernel module, or vice versa,
> or you tried to do things "by hand", "in stages", as you did with 8.3,
> but missing out on the additional steps now needed with 8.4.

No, I at no point had mixed userland / kernel modules.  I updated from
2.6.34 to 3.0.4, and drbd was not set to auto-start on the nodes just
to make sure that nothing would be running when I did not want it to
be.

>> Unfortunately, I don't have any devices in this scenario right now
>> since I needed to get things moving and did a full sync on all
>> resources.  It doesn't look like I am the first to experience this:
>> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2011-July/016592.html
>
> No.  There are more userland steps involved with DRBD 8.4.
> Don't expect a "drbdadm attach" to work just so.
> Do "drbdadm -d adjust all",
> it will list the steps it thinks will be necessary.
>
> Do "drbdadm adjust all" to actually do them,
> or copy'n'paste them one by one if you want to do it "by hand".
>
> Then, if it stays diskless even after a "drbdadm adjust",
> look at the drbd kernel messages, and what it complains about.
> It *should* "just work"... :-/
>
> Though, if trying to upgrade to 8.4 causes you pain,
> maybe rather stay with 8.3.12 for now.

I'm going to run with 8.4 for a few days, but I have another pair of
8.3.10 servers that I will likely migrate to 8.4 and 3.0.4 in the near
future.  I'll let you know if these require a full sync and capture
all kernel log messages to narrow it down.

-M