[DRBD-user] DRBD stability - machine auto reboot

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Nov 30 10:04:16 CET 2011

Hi,

On 11/30/2011 12:09 AM, Steve Kieu wrote:
> Even if IO error you may not want to halt the whole machine - best thing
> probably is to disabled/remove the drbd resource in question rather than
> kill the machine.

that's assuming that the kernel can just "remove" a device in any given
situation, which normally (from my experience) isn't the case.

Furthermore, if your Primary is the Sync Target, i.e. its local disk is
inconsistent, and it loses the connection to the UpToDate data, then
there is no sane way that DRBD can treat an incoming write request.

That's why you typically want a reboot, as nothing good can come from an
inconsistent standalone primary.

HTH,
Felix