[DRBD-user] DRBD stability issues

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Nov 17 09:01:13 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 08:46:35AM +1100, Steve Kieu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The multi volume feature is quite useful. With this I can for example
> switch Primary/Secondary individually if mysql or pgsql crashed without
> affecting each other.

No. Complete misunderstanding.

If you have independent services, you use multiple *resources*.

That was always possible.

Just use
 resource pgsql { ... device drbd0 ... }
 resource mysql { ... device drbd1 ... }

The multi volume feature (several minor devices *within the same resource*),
is useful if you have one service, which for some reason needs to access
more than one volume (several "virtual block devices" of the same VM,
for example), which need consistency accross all volumes:
they now share one replication link, which means they can no longer
"disconnect" independently, which allowed for a window where one minor
still replicates when the other already lost it's replication link.

You can still have multiple resources, with one or more volume each.
The instabilities we know of are when you use 8.4.0 with more than a
single volume per resource.

> By no means of urging, it would be great if you can tell when the next
> release would be so I can test?

There will be an announcement here, and on drbd-announce.

> Also is 8.3.12 workable

Of course.

--
: Lars Ellenberg