[DRBD-user] Partitioning /dev/drbd1

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Mon Mar 14 20:00:27 CET 2011

Oh hai!  Chimmin' in late!  Reply in-line:

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de
> wrote:

> [root at storage2 ~]# fdisk  -l /dev/drbd1
>
> Disk /dev/drbd1: 1073 MB, 1073672192 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 130 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>      Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/drbd1p1               1          25      200781   83  Linux
> /dev/drbd1p2              26          50      200812+  83  Linux
>
> [root at storage2 ~]# ls -d /dev/drbd*
> /dev/drbd  /dev/drbd0  /dev/drbd1
>
> I've already rebooted both nodes but the device nodes never show up in
> /dev. Is there anything special that needs to be done for this to happen?

Same thing that needs to happen anytime you hot-add LUNs and want to detect
their partitions: run 'partprobe'  It's an order of operations thing, the
initscripts get all the partition, then use those partitions to setup DRBD
devices, which in turn have more partitions you need to detect but the
initscripts assume all the partitions are discovered by the time DRBD starts
so it never checks again.  Invoking 'partprobe' manually invokes partition
discovery.  This is rather distribution specific initialization detail, but
that's the deal.

-JR