[DRBD-user] drbd on existing partitions

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Mon Mar 14 09:33:03 CET 2011

On Monday 14 March 2011 09:12:00 Krishna PMV wrote:

> Can I assume this way of avoiding inital sync`ing by drbd and using rsync
> would guarantee consistent mirroring as seen by drbd? Will I see any
> problems when I promote my secondary server to primary?
>  My understanding is that rsync identifies file level changes and syncs
> though it replicates only blocks modified.

rsync copies files, not file systems. So while your files may be identical, your
filesystems will not, so when drbd synchronizes some blocks, your file system on
the secondary node will be shot completely, since those blocks will definitely
be different than on the primary.

But what's your problem with initial sync anyway? Your resource does _not_
have to be down while syncing. It does sync in the background with you
hopefully not even noticing anything. If the sync is a problem for your normal
operations, then you'll have problems anyway and should change your setup.

Regards,
Stefan