[DRBD-user] drbd on existing partitions

Krishna PMV krishna.pmv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:12:00 CET 2011

hey,
I`m planning to setup drbd (8.3) on existing (ext3) paritions in
primary-secondary mode.
The main problem here for me is - I wanted to avoid initial syncing of data
by drbd since I`ve lots of data (~4TB) and we can`t afford more than 30 mins
downtime for our services. So, I`m planning to skip this initial sync by
drbd and use "rsync" ( which takes about 15 mins) instead to make sure the
two servers are in sync and by generating new uuids to fool  drbd think that
underlying block devices are in sync.
Another catch here is underlying block devices do not have same disk
layout.( probably I can set drbd device size to the minimum of those two
block device size? )

Can I assume this way of avoiding inital sync`ing by drbd and using rsync
would guarantee consistent mirroring as seen by drbd? Will I see any
problems when I promote my secondary server to primary?
 My understanding is that rsync identifies file level changes and syncs
though it replicates only blocks modified.

tia,
Krishna