[DRBD-user] Partitioning /dev/drbd1

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Tue Mar 8 16:51:22 CET 2011

> While kpartx works I'm wondering why it is necessary. I would expect
> /dev/drbd1 to behave like a regular block device and the partitions to
> show up if not after writing the new table then at least after a reboot.
> Eventually I will probably go for an LVM setup but since this is
> supposed to become part of a pacemaker cluster and I'd like to build
> this up one step at a time I'd first like to get a filesystem on a
> regular partition going before I add the LVM layer in between.

Hi,

while partitioning a partition is possible and rather straight-forward,
it sure isn't standard practice.
Besides, what do you expect from the kernel? Descending arbitrary levels
of partitioning and adding nodes for the partitions thus found...by what
system?

Graphically: What major/minor numbers would you have associated with
your third primary partition's first logical partition's second primary
partition's first primary partition?

Also, please make sure that replication actually works when you mount
your "inner partitions" this way. I think it should, but I might be wrong.

Cheers,
Felix