[DRBD-user] Partitioning /dev/drbd1

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Mar 8 16:44:49 CET 2011

On 03/08/2011 04:25 PM, Felix Frank wrote:
> On 03/08/2011 04:23 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying set up a redundant iscsi server using drbd but it seems I'm
>> unable to get the os to recognize the partitioning of the drbd device:
>>
>> [root at storage2 ~]# fdisk  -l /dev/drbd1
>>
>> Disk /dev/drbd1: 1073 MB, 1073672192 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 130 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>
>>        Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/drbd1p1               1          25      200781   83  Linux
>> /dev/drbd1p2              26          50      200812+  83  Linux
>>
>> [root at storage2 ~]# ls -d /dev/drbd*
>> /dev/drbd  /dev/drbd0  /dev/drbd1
>>
>> I've already rebooted both nodes but the device nodes never show up in
>> /dev. Is there anything special that needs to be done for this to happen?
>
> Hmm, it's more common to make your DRBD a PV for LVM, but this should
> work too.
>
> Have a look at kpartx.

While kpartx works I'm wondering why it is necessary. I would expect
/dev/drbd1 to behave like a regular block device and the partitions to show
up if not after writing the new table then at least after a reboot.
Eventually I will probably go for an LVM setup but since this is supposed
to become part of a pacemaker cluster and I'd like to build this up one
step at a time I'd first like to get a filesystem on a regular partition
going before I add the LVM layer in between.

Regards,
   Dennis