[DRBD-user] DRBD & Pacemaker

free.fr pascal.berton3 at free.fr
Wed Jul 13 13:44:56 CEST 2011

Hi Lucian!

I can and will only speak about question#1. If I correctly read your
past mails, you're trying to implement DRBD for some VMware platform,
right ? and then your actual question is "How can I DRBDize only
selected VM's vmdk files, not all VMs ?" right ?. If so, IMHO I believe
the immediate answer is "No", AFAIK there's no mean to implement DRBD at
the vSphere hypervisor level, even a Service Console, which is what you
would need to make it work. However I see 2 ways that would provide you
with kind of a solution :
1) You can implement DRBD within your VMs. This does not sound the best
solution as it will require an equivalent "secondary VM" on the other
side, plus you will have to manage replication traffic within both VMs :
Complicated, and personnally I figure out data replication as an
infrastructure task, not an application task.
2) You can give Raw Device Mappings to your VMs instead of regular VMDK
files. In such case, you woud present one or several LUNs from your DRBD
storage platform to your VM via iSCSI for instance. RDM will make them
appear just like if they were regular VMDK files, except it's not a
file, it's a LUN formatted with whatever format you require. Then, it's
no big deal to replicate such a LUN using standard and supported  DRBD ways.

However, if you chose solution 2), you could ask yourself if, while
replicating some LUNs, it wouldn't worth replicate a complete VMFS LUN
storing VMDKs, rather classic LUNs containing ext3 or something. Unless
replicated volume size is too big, because of your replication network
bandwitdh or something, when your replicating, why not replicating
everything ? Well, this choice is up to you...

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Pascal.