[DRBD-user] Accelerate first initialization

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Fri Jul 8 15:49:28 CEST 2011

Here are my notes for a "New, Blank disk". If they are really new, they are
probably already zeros. If you worry about such things (I don't), you can dd
them to all zeros beforehand. Use a large blocksize to speed it up.

New Blank Disk:
===============
#On both nodes, initialize meta data and configure the device.
drbdadm -- --force create-md r0

#They need to do the initial handshake, so they know their sizes.
drbdadm up r0

#They are now Connected Secondary/Secondary Inconsistent/Inconsistent.
Generate a new current-uuid and clear the dirty bitmap.
drbdadm -- --clear-bitmap new-current-uuid r0

#They are now Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate. On the system
to be Primary:
drbdadm primary r0
#bring up whatever target filesystems or iSCSItarget or whatever

hth

There is no initial sync so it's really fast. There is no possibility of
corruption either, as long as the drbd connection is up before you create
the file system; the possibility of differing blocks will not matter, except
for some scary stats at verify time. With a reasonable syncher rate
(remember, it's BYTES, not bits), synching while in use is not even a
problem.

Dan