[DRBD-user] Documentation request

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Jul 7 10:16:21 CEST 2011

On 2011-07-06 23:51, Mrten wrote:
> On 2011-07-06 21:55, Florian Haas wrote:
>
>>> Could the documentation please elaborate a bit more on the difference
>>> between meta-disk and flexible-meta-disk?
> [...]
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/18149?do=post_view_threaded#18149
>>>

>> Certainly, and I'll be more than happy to review and merge a patch. The
>> documentation sources are here:
>
> I shall look into this; I'd like to settle one thing first though:
>
> http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/drbd.2009/msg01104.html
>
> Lars stated on the mailinglist (in a mail which -of course- I found
> before I found the first mail mentioned) that flexible-meta-disk ==
> meta-disk for drbd 8.x. I've found that not to be the case quite that
> literally (for 8.3.9), but what shall be the path onward for drbd?

That one message was slightly yanked out of context. :)

Lars was referring to internal meta data at the time, and for internal
meta data it is quite correct that in 8.x meta-disk and
flexible-meta-disk are functionally identical.

For external meta data, meta-disk and flexible-meta-disk differ in the
sense that, for historical reasons, an external meta-disk nails the meta
data space to 128M -- equivalent to a 4TB maximum replicated data set.
flexible-meta-disk has no such limitation.

Does this clarify things?

Cheers,
Florian