[DRBD-user] Moving a live DRBD setup to a new version?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Tue Jan 18 07:58:49 CET 2011

On 01/18/2011 12:45 AM, Cameron Smith wrote:
> Well looking further online it seems the two versions are compatible!
> Can anybody here confirm that please?
>
> Now my main two questions are:
>
> 1) Will having different size partitions between nodes cause an issue?
> (my meta-data is on a separate partition and not set as internal)

Yes, that's a problem. Your initial SyncTarget must be the same size as
your original DRBD. You can then resize that partition by whatever means
necessary, then resize the DRBD itself. Note that the last step should
not be performed before you have resized both your nodes' partitions.

> 2) After bringing up my resource on the new node do I then run:
>
> *|drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary/|resource|/|*
>
> ON THE OLD PRIMARY NODE? This is where the data is live and the /data partition is mounted.
>
> I want to make sure I don't kill my live site and it's data!!! :)

Seeing as your old node is already primary, you will more likely want to
connect --discard-my-data on the other one. But your general idea is sound.

Cheers,
Felix