[DRBD-user] DRBD settings difficulties with understanding

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Wed Jan 12 19:44:52 CET 2011

Reply inline:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Dan Barker <dbarker at visioncomm.net> wrote:

> As to the I/O handling with DEBD+GFS2+NFS Primary/Primary, I do not know
> the
> answer. Maybe someone else on the list can help.
>
> Dan, in Atlanta (the Top Poster)

Oh we got a RFC-1855 heretic here ;-)

First off, break this into 2 parts: DRBD+GFS2 and GFS2+NFS.  I'll answer the
DRBD+GFS2 part.  The GFS2+NFS part can be examined without DRBD.  I'd
suggest looking at: http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/nfscookbook.pdf

common {
   startup {
    wfc-timeout 0 ;       # Wait forever for initial connection
    degr-wfc-timeout 60;  # Wait only 60 seconds if this node was a degraded
cluster
  }
  net {
    # these split-brain options automatically repair common cases with GFS2
    # and at a minimum ensure integrity
    after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;
    after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
    after-sb-2pri disconnect;
    cram-hmac-alg sha512;
    shared-secret "replace this secret";
  }
  handlers {
    split-brain "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-split-brain.sh sysadmin at fixme.tld";
  }
  disk {
    # be safe, go into diskless mode
    on-io-error   detach;
  }
  syncer {
    verify-alg md5;
  }
}

In your resource you need this to make it dual-primary:

resource some-resource {
  [...]
  net {
    allow-two-primaries;
  }
  startup {
    become-primary-on both;
  }
}

That what you need from DRBD for GFS2.  You'll need to assure fencing
somehow.  I personally use power-fencing.  Once you have the DRBD+GFS2
specifics above down, you probably want to research GFS2+NFS.

-JR