[DRBD-user] allow-two-primary on ext3

Pavlos Parissis pavlos.parissis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 21:07:24 CEST 2010

On 9 September 2010 08:50, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] <r.bhatia at ipax.at> wrote:

> On 08.09.2010 23:52, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>
>> My initial situation was as follows, node-01 primary for
>> drbd_pbx_service_1 resource and node-02 primary for drbd_pbx_service_2
>> resource.
>> I tried to get the node-03 as primary for both resources but I got the
>> error message " Multiple primaries not allowed by config"
>> here is the steps which I followed
>>

> you have to demote the current primary to secondary before you promote
> another node from secondary to primary.

You are right, I ended up in this situation before I didn't follow the
correct order. Following the correct order gave me the result I wanted.
[root at node-01 ~]# drbd-overview
  1:drbd_pbx_service_1  Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----
[root at node-01 ~]# drbdadm secondary drbd_pbx_service_1

[root at node-02 ~]# drbd-overview
  2:drbd_pbx_service_2  Connected Primary/Secondary
UpToDate/U                             pToDate C r----
[root at node-02 ~]# drbdadm secondary drbd_pbx_service_2
[root at node-02 ~]# drbd-overview
  2:drbd_pbx_service_2  Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate

[root at node-03 ~]# drbd-overview
  1:drbd_pbx_service_1  Connected Secondary/Primary   UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----
  2:drbd_pbx_service_2  Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----
[root at node-03 ~]# drbdadm primary drbd_pbx_service_2
[root at node-03 ~]# drbd-overview
  1:drbd_pbx_service_1  Connected Secondary/Primary UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----
  2:drbd_pbx_service_2  Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----
[root at node-03 ~]# drbdadm primary drbd_pbx_service_1
[root at node-03 ~]# drbd-overview
  1:drbd_pbx_service_1  Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----
  2:drbd_pbx_service_2  Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
r----

>  I read the manual for allow-two-primary settings and basically states
>> that I can't do what I want, since I use ext3 fs on drbd devices.
>> But, I don't quite understand why, since these 2 resources are running
>> on different disks and over different connections. I don't understand
>> how the FS on them will get corrupted.
>>

> that is true. but in your case, the solution is as stated above.
>
> cheers,
> raoul

So, in single-primary mode and using ext3 fs type, a node can have the role
of primary for 2 resources without any problems.

Thanks,
Pavlos