[DRBD-user] Problem mounting lvm snapshot

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Thu Oct 28 03:51:14 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 22:48:58 Bart Coninckx wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2010 22:36:06 Lewis Donzis wrote:
> > The idea was not to use the snapshot as "the backup" but merely to use
> > the snapshot on the secondary system as a source for other backups.  The
> > idea was to use asynchronous replication so the performance hit during
> > the backups won't affect the primary.
>
> I see, though while using protocol C there still would be a performance hit
> on the primary node (though depending on your RAID config maybe minimal).
> But I see no way to backup a secondary DRBD node.

I don't see why a backup on the secondary node would not work as long as the
volume you're snapshotting is underneath DRBD. In fact, I've done just that.
The data is there after all. Only problem is, that it's in an unknown state.
There may be writes in progress. But if your applications can reliably cope
with this (like e.g. a good database should), it's certainly an option.

Regards,
Stefan