[DRBD-user] Upgrade from 8.3.3 to 8.3.7 caused full resync

Brian Marshall brian at netcents.com
Sun May 23 09:10:48 CEST 2010

Hello,

Recently I did an upgrade from 8.3.3 to 8.3.7 on both ends of my drbd
mirrored volume and was surprised to see that the volumes, which had
been in sync, had gone into a full resync.

I had successfully compiled the drbd module and tools from source on
both ends and tested with drbdadm -V to make sure both ends had the same
version installed and working. I then restarted the nodes (primary
first), which is when the full resync kicked off. Does an upgrade kill
off the sync status bitmap?

Under normal circumstances this would not be a big deal, but my nodes
are 2TB and connected via a 12Mbit long-haul wireless link. Syncing
looks like it will take somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks to finish. There
are also occasional service interruptions which reset the sync back to
the beginning again.

My question is this: Is there any way to set the secondary node to valid
  (the reverse of the invalidate-remote command?). Manually setting the
bitmap, perhaps? That way I could run a validate and have only the
changed blocks transferred over the link. Having the validate command
kick off a full block-by-block checksum verify instead of failing with
"Can not start OV/resync since it is already active" would be very useful.
Also, as a enhancement request: could a config option be added to have
syncs resume from where they left off given a service interruption? I
could probably live with the resync time if it didn't start right from
the beginning everytime there was a hiccup.
Thanks for the great product and all your help!

    -Brian Marshall